Police in Sacramento, California, have arrested a second suspect in connection to a mass shooting this weekend that left six people dead.
The individual was found at the scene of the shooting early Sunday with “serious injuries from gunfire” and taken to a local hospital, the Sacramento Police Department said in a news release.
The suspect was “quickly identified as a person of interest and has remained under the supervision of an Officer at the hospital while his treatment continues,” the release said.
[Previous story, published at 8:37 a.m. ET]
Dandrae Martin, who was identified as a “related suspect,” is scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday after being booked on Assault and illegal firearm possession charges, according to police.
“The investigation is highly complex involving many witnesses, videos of numerous types and significant physical evidence,” Schubert said. “This is an ongoing investigation and we anticipate more arrests in this case.”
Martin was being held without bail, online jail records show. CNN has not been able to reach an attorney for him.
During an emotional vigil Monday night, members of the Sacramento community and officials expressed frustration with repeated instances of gun violence in the city and called for action to prevent more shootings.
“The last time we had a mass shooting we did the same thing,” said one speaker who did not share his name but identified himself as a cousin of one of the victims. “Sat out here, held up our candles, talk about the police are here for us now, the public officials are here for us now.”
“How are they here for us when we are sitting doing the same damn thing again? The same thing,” he said. “So who’s going to stop it?”
Here’s what we know about the shooting so far.
How the shooting unfolded
The shooting happened just after 2 am in a bustling part of downtown, just a few blocks from the California State Capitol, Sacramento City Hall and the Golden 1 Center, where the city’s NBA team plays home games.
During the initial investigation, detectives found more than 100 shell casings and discovered at least three buildings and three cars that had been hit by bullets.
Lester has said there were multiple shooters and that a large fight preceded the gunfire. A Stolen handgun was among the hundreds of pieces of evidence found at the scene, she said Sunday.
Victims as young as 21
The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office on Monday identified the six victims who died:
– Johntaya Alexander, 21
– Melinda Davis, 57
– Sergio Harris, 38
– Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32
– Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21
– Devazia Turner, 29
The Tragedy has devastated the victims’ families, confounded the community and Angered those who are frustrated by yet another mass shooting.
“And for this to happen, it’s crazy,” she said. “And I’m just to the point right now (where) I don’t know what to do. I don’t even think this is real.”
Sacramento’s second mass shooting in recent weeks
Mayor Darrell Steinberg said solutions – not well wishes – are needed to help change the trajectory of gun violence in America.
“Thoughts and prayers are not enough,” he said. “It is beyond time to have a sane conversation (about) Guns in America. We have a sickness – it’s a sickness in our country, it’s a sickness in our culture.”
Sacramento will keep investing in programs focused on early intervention and violence prevention for young people, they said.
“In our city, we will take stock and we will do everything we can – on the investment side, on the public safety side, on the gun side – to protect the public,” Steinberg said.
And President Joe Biden described Sacramento as “another community devastated by gun violence,” calling on Congress to act on gun control measures.
“In a single act in Sacramento, six individuals left dead and at least a dose more injured,” Biden said in a statement. “Families forever changed. Survivors left to heal wounds both visible and Invisible.”
CNN’s Susannah Cullinane, Holly Yan and Stella Chan contributed to this report.